From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 2014 07:56:12 -0400
Despite what the mass media is reporting, the situation for bees in agriculture has gotten much better, rather than worse. Arsenic spraying was common in the early 20th century. In 1980 it was possible to write:

> The seriousness of honeybee kills with pesticides resulted in legislation of the Bee Indemnity Act of 1970 to compensate apiculturalists for such losses (Public Law 91-524). Since 1970 the Agricultural Stabilization and Conservation Service has paid a total of about $ 21 million in bee indemnities to apiculturalists for their losses (ASCS 1976). However, this probably represents a small portion of actual losses. Martin (1978) estimated that perhaps 20% of all honey bee colonies are actually affected and this includes the approximately 5% of U.S. bee colonies that are killed outright or die during the winter because of pesticide damage. For this impact Martin calculates an annual loss of $ 11.1 million. Another 15% of the colonies either are damaged by pesticides and suffer partial losses or suffer losses when apiculturalists move colonies to avoid pesticide damage. The loss from partial kills, reduced honey production, and movement of colonies totals about $ 21.1 million annually (Martin 1978). Also, as a result of heavy pesticide use on certain crops, beekeepers are excluded from 10 to 15 million acres (4-6 million ha) of good apiary locations. Pimentel, D. et al (1980). Environmental and social costs of pesticides: a preliminary assessment. Oikos, 126-140.

However, in 2013, Jessica Pasciak was unable to establish any correlation between cropland and honey bee decline. Neither does the proximity of natural areas incur any notable benefit, despite the logical implication.