From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2014 11:45:13 -0500
Christina Wahl posted elsewhere (on a public forum)

> As many studies have shown, neonics aggravate the serious problems we currently have with Varroa, viruses, and honeybee immunity.  Pointing the finger at these latter three big problems as "all we should worry about" while ignoring  the significant contribution of the neonics to those same problems is a frustrating practice we're seeing a lot of these days among beekeepers....who IMO should know better.

My response:

This is not a matter of ignoring the "significant contribution of the neonics". In the view of many researchers, neonics are NOT the problem.  Simply saying they are does not make it so. But don’t take my word for it. In areas where neonics were banned, the bees didn’t get better. Show one case where banning neonics made a significant improvement in bee health. It’s disappointing when the scape goat dies and nothing happens.

Peter Loring Borst
Ithaca, NY 14853