Date:
Sun, 20 Sep 2009 08:33:17 -0600
> Under this current scenario, then, how do Australian and Hawaiian queens
> and their respective packages factor in, especially since they have not
> yet fully varroa-tested unlike other queens in the continent?

This is a popular idea, (myth?) with limited basis in fact as far as I know.

My understanding is that producers in both those jurisdictions import
genetics from outside their particular regions with a mind to ensuring
reduced susceptibility to varroa and other pests.  This is partially in
anticipation of eventually encountering these scourges domestically and to
ensure that they provide the characteristics their worldwide customers
request.

Of course, In Hawaii, there are fewer producers than Australia, which is a
huge country with many geographically isolated areas, but the same facts
apply in both cases.

Kona queens, in my experience rank fairly highly in terms of their ability
to handle AFB, mites and winter, and Australian queens I have had wintered
well. I don't know much about the Big Island queens, although I have seen
lots of their stock around.

At any rate, there are producers in the mainland US who sell vulnerable
stock, (documented in the case of TM by Baton Rouge and reported here
several times) and there are offshore suppliers who offer stock which is
hardy.