From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2017 15:01:56 -0700

> > But then those trees and shrubs would be producing GMO honey, according
> to some interpretations

Again, if it weren't for the anti-GMO lobby, it wouldn't make any
difference.

> See my earlier post on so-called "precision breeding".  It is hit-or-miss
> splicing into the genome

Christina, you're talking of old-school GE methods.  It is far more precise
nowadays.

> > and it is much more dramatic at the genomic level.

In what way?  Please do not make definitive statements without supportive
evidence.

> That has consequences, some of which we are only beginning to recognize.

Such as?

> This short-cut--"precision breeding"--is like driving across an old mine
> field in order to save yourself a few miles driving around it.

A very imaginative anology, but as far as I can tell, irrelevant.
Recombination, viral gene intogression, hybridization, transpositions, and
simple mutations can all result in similar genetic changes.

One of the ways that plants and insects fight viruses is by the
endogenization of part of the viral genome (your own DNA is also full of
viral genetics).  This is no different than what was done to make papayas
and peanuts immune to their devastating viruses.  It would have happened in
time via natural selection (after all the farmers starved).  Plant breeders
can now attain the same result in one generation.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA