From:
Ted Wout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 1997 11:42:03 -0400
"Richard H. Glassford II" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>Maybe some of you could help me.  I have a small orchard and a fairly
large garden.  I would like to have one bee hive in the back yard but I
have 5 small children from the ages 4-13 that play in the back yard.
You all are the experts. Many of you have had bees for a very long time.
 What would be your advice.  My nightmare is my kids and dogs will be
attacked.  If stung are their drugs I should have around the house that
I could give to the kids if they are allergic?   I am new to the list
and have enjoyed reading the posts.<<
Hello Richard,

I've had two hives in my backyard for the last three summers with no major
problems.  My kids play back there all the time but have the sense to stay
away from the hives.  The dog has ventured over there a few times and she
got stung a few times.  She doesn't go near the hives now.

My children have stepped on bees and gotten stung a few times.  No major
problems there.  One thing that has been a problem is the dogs water bowl.
Seems the bees really took a liking to it for a water source.  It sat on
the back porch right by the back door.  Bees were always flying around us
and there were a few buzzing incidents but no stings.  Also the dog
couldn't get water out of the bowl through all the bees in it.  The
solution was to buy a galvanized tub and use it for a watering bowl.  The
bees have their access to it and the dog can get a drink without getting
stung.  It sits out by the shed now out of the way.  Because it holds so
much water we clean it out every couple of days and that seems fine.

These hives have been moved out to our bee yard in the fall each year but
get replaced with new ones in the spring.  Right now I have a tree trunk
with hive bodies on it waiting for bees to move up into the hive bodies and
a former bait hive from a bee removal operation.  They'll both move in the
fall if possible.

Having the bees so close to home has peaked my childrens interest in bees.
My twelve year old son is my helper and has his own suit.  He's getting his
own woodenware for Christmas and his grandparents are sending him package
bees for his birthday in march.  He's ready for his own hives and they'll
probably be the backyard hives next year.  My five year old son is helping
also.  He says "I'm the smoker man".  He does a great job of smoking bees,
his brother, his father and whatever else he deems needs smoke when he
helps.  He has a suit on order.

You also may find that your children will want to help and/or interact with
the hives.  You might just start them off on their own bee adventure.

Ted Wout
Red Oak, TX, USA