Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 2011 15:40:23 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
> How do we get around the problem of inbreeding and limited genetics?   To my way of thinking, we need to get together with other like-minded beekeepers across the country and then periodically insert queens from other diverse locations so as to keep the gene pool pretty well random, but with the characteristics we desire.

Just my two cents, but I don't think a lot of folks are really doing what they think they are. By "breeding from the best" they are really just weeding out unacceptable strains. Bees are not that easy to "line breed" with their complicated system of outcrossing and multiple mating. 

Furthermore, why is one colony "better" than another? Does anyone really know? It's not all in the queen, no matter what anyone thinks. The colony has a "personality" that is the sum of all the bees, their queen, their heredity and God knows what else. 

To think you can get all of this into a bee egg, and raise another colony from that egg, is a bit simple minded, wouldn't you say? But what else can you? First of all, I agree that buying from others is an excellent idea. I would think in terms of *building* a quality population that produces mostly colonies like what you want. 

SEE:
Collective personalities in honeybee colonies are linked to colony fitness
Margaret K. Wray, Heather R. Mattila, Thomas D. Seeley
Animal Behaviour 81 (2011) 559-568

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Guidelines for posting to BEE-L can be found at:
http://honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm

ATOM RSS1 RSS2