From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2023 11:08:12 -0500
> Dobson, A.P. (2023) Flaws of nature : the limits and liabilities of natural selection

Thanks for the tip! One of the examples that he gives is a species of ant which closes the entrance to the nest at night. Mostly it is done from inside but there is always a group of ants who finish the job from the outside. These ants typically die, being exposed and unprotected. In other words, they are sacrificed for the good of the colony. I suspect the same would apply to honey bees on the outside of a cluster in winter. Even if they are dead, they provide insulation with their bodies.

Southwick again: