From:
Geoff Manning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2015 11:35:31 +1100
On 20/01/2015 3:41 AM, Peter Loring Borst wrote:

>> Of course, these would have to be carefully tracked. On the other hand, many beekeepers do not requeen, but rather, simply replace colonies that have failed. How long do they last? I would guess 3-5 years, although I have seen data from Australia that suggests a much longer natural lifespan (12 years). Untreated colonies are expected to live 3 years, or so. That's been my experience.

A neighbour had one that went approx 20 years.  Very occasionaly I took
off a super of honey for him.  But a sample of one proves very little.

My educated guess is that a hive will last until it swarms, and then
does not get the virgin away.  Going on mating figures from queen
breeding operations this would on average be 4-6 years?!?!

Geoff Manning