From:
Ken Hoare <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 20:26:49 -0000
John K Warsaw asked about using plastic laminate (Formica) as a varroa
insert.

Yes, half of my inserts are Formica, the other half are offcuts of vinyl
flooring (used upside down to avoid the pattern). The first option is
definitely the best and mine being white allows the mites to be clearly
seen. Don't know about cheap though, at least not in the UK, was just a case
of use what was stored in the garage before the wife found another job for
me. The vinyl flooring is relatively cheap and can be purchased in small
amounts but all I have seen is a cream coloured back, but still useful.

Interestingly, I think you can forget spraying them with cooking oil,
coating with petroleum jelly or whatever as I find that within just a few
hours they acquire their own stickiness. Its obviously droplets of nectar
but more than adequate for the purpose.

They are easily discoloured by fallen pollen but washing soda restores to
nearly as good as new.

"and I do not believe that it is productive at this stage, for us to attempt
to engage in figuring out
our own home grown formulae or theories", stated Tom Barrett from Ireland.

These must be the truest, most honest words ever spoken, and sentiments
which if many of those around me had adopted would have prevented them from
currently looking at empty wooden boxes. I also believe the same applies to
the chemical strips, if the manufacturer states "use two" well use two, or
adding to the report of Bayers Kevin Stevens talk, "UNLESS YOU INTEND TO USE
BAYVAROL STRIPS STRICTLY ACCORDING TO THE RECOMMENDATIONS, DON’T USE THEM AT
ALL."

Regarding 'Vandalism'. I would hate to promote anything other than that our
bees are hard working creatures who might sting simply to defend their home,
as would we all. Several years ago keeping colonies in an old ladies garden
in central London the 'lads' found them and caused havoc during two or three
visits, and the person that suffered was the old lady with many stings.
Before moving them she gave me permission to erect the largest sign
possible, but only visible to those entering her garden, stating, "THESE
BEE'S KILL". It may have been coincidence but the attacks immediately
ceased.

Ken Hoare