From:
Buck Rut <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 06:22:05 -0800
Greetings All,
     I read the information the George presented in his post, and I
beg to differ with him about the information about the Buckfast bee's
that he presented. True, Weaver's are the only US breeders of the
Buckfast bee, but, they are no longer breeding a true, Brother Adams
Buckfast.
     Weavers no longer pay royalties to the Buckfast Abbey, therefore,
they are not creating true Buckfast bees.  Because they dont pay the
royalties, they are not entitled to receive semen from them either.
All of the queens that are shipped are open mated queens.  Since their
operation is located in an area containing AHB, there is concern that
some of the queens may be inseminated by AHB drones.  To help lessen
the chance of an AHB drone inseminating a queen, they saturate the
area with the Buckfast drones.  Many beekeepers in our area have
noticed a marked increase in agression of the Buckfast hives.  I know
from experience too.  I have a Buckfast hive I call the hive from hell!
     Technically, there are no breeders in the US that produce the
true Buckfast bee that Brother Adams worked on.  There are  3 breeders
in Canada though, that do pay the royalties to the Abbey, and do
produce the true Brother Adams Buckfast Bees.  Sorry though, I dont
have their information with me now.  They can and will ship queens to
the US, but I think they are only shipped in the fall.  I have spoken
to people who have used these queens, and they say there is a big
difference between them and the Weaver's queens.  They live up to the
billing that the Buckfast bees are noted for.

Sincerely,
Scott Moser