Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2010 14:19:51 -0400
> I have been observing plenty of colonies with N ceranae during the winter
> for a couple of years.  It is very rare to see a colony with dysentery, but
> there have been some.  When I've seen dysentery,  amoeba cysts are
> generally
> present.
>
> Bill, did Tony notice amoeba cysts in the Maine colonies with dysentery?

Do not know what other checks he did. He does see a lot of colonies over the
year with NC. As you know, he was the one who sent the samples from several
years back that tested positive for NC, so it is not new here in Maine.

Thanks for noting your observations. All that my point was is that no
dysentery is not a marker for NC. You can have no dysentery with NA, but
usually have it, compared to NC, which is rare.

It just does not make sense to have two very similar diseases of the bee gut
that can barely be told apart that did not share symptoms. Personally, my
guess is NC is so virulent that you do not see dysentery because it never
gets that far. But as time goes along and some tolerance is developed,
symptoms will be much like NA. But, we shall see.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine