Date:
Sat, 16 Aug 2008 02:42:10 GMT
hi everyone,

i haven't looked closely at this issue before, but we are told that the asian longhorn beetle is in our area...at least a small part of our area.

the local paper has reported a plan to spray with merit (imidacloprid) with no specific details.  there is a meeting with the city to discuss this, and there is great concern among the beekeepers i have spoken to who have bees in the area.

i don't have the time to do the research i'd like to do, as i will be out of town for a few days without net access, but thought there might be some experience here.

1.  has anyone had experience (good or bad) with this, or any other control/abatement efforts for this particular pest?

2.  does anyone have any specific suggestions?

3.  i'm curious as to what the treatment plan/methodology is for citrus greening...as my recolection is that this was the only situation where the penn state team had found neonics in the hives....i'd like to be prepared if a similar scheme is proposed in our area.

please note that i don't believe that such a program would necessarily put bees in harms way, but want to make sure that the panic over this pest doesn't result in overzealous/offlabel/dangerous uses.

thanks for the help!

deknow