From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 2004 21:43:42 -0800
Allen Dick writes:
a natural broodnest does pretty much what the small cell
is claimed to do, regardless of the bees chosen.

If this is so, then why the disppearance of feral colonies
everywhere?

Reply:
yes, this is true, regardless of the bees chosen. The
broodnest is the heart of the hive,but not only for
reproduction of our bees. It also functions/works like a
living liver. All bees can do this given a chance! Survive
with natural sized small cells, while creating more
division of labor to address their health. Always have.

As for feral disappearance.....we have seen none in our
area. But we have seen the growth of pesticide removals
with continuous yearly cutting out of colonies in
structures and places they say bees should not be and under
various names.Plenty of AHBs but no European to be found.
Strange it's worked this way. At the same time housing
tracts continue to expand into outlying undeveloped areas.

I also talk to many beekeepers from all over the USA on the
phone, and in no area do I know of zero or no ferals
remaining.The beekeepers are ketching fewer, but they still
are ketching bees. As for more spraying or cutting out of
bees in their areas, professoinally done, this I don't have
first hand information to, though could probably assume,
though that would be dangerous, some would say.

Cannot say I know of the actual disappearance of ferals
happening everywhere. It's just how it is said and looked
at it seems.

Respectfully Submited,

Dee A. Lusby
Small cell Commercial Beekeeper