From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Nov 1998 17:04:33 -0500
Nick says..."The US likes to play both sides of this particular fence.  It
applies
restrictions to protect the bee health of the US when it chooses,......"

I do not really have an opinion on Nick's general point, which I read to be
as "the US, as other countries, like to play with the words "free trade" and
"fair trade".  I suspect there is a kernel of truth here, but do not really
know enough to have an opinion.  I do know that we allow free trade in
honey, and our beekeepers suffer a great deal as a result.

As far as importing bees is concerned, and I think that is Nick's focus at
the moment, my understanding is many and perhaps most US beekeepers are in
favor of lifting all restrictions...whether that is wise or not I do not
know.  I do know that there are never enough packages and what there are are
very expensive.  If the Canadian border re-opens (I do not know where that
stands, but I understand it will re-open soon) the package bee situation
could really become critical!

In the meantime, there is some view that the newest imported pest, the small
hive beetle, might be a very very serious problem and that there is at least
one more mite out there that is at least as bad as Varroa.  My information
on the small hive beetle comes from a presentation by Charles Wilson of the
USDA at a joint Canadian and American meeting held last weekend.  The
information presented is that there might be something going on that
prevents it from being a serious pest in South Africa, and that "something"
might not be present here.  Further, there is some indication that the
beetle can survive in climates that receive some degree of frost, which
would significantly expand its potential in the US.

Finally, if I remember correctly New Zealand does not allow importation of
bees.  Are those in glass houses throwing stones?

Lloyd
Email [log in to unmask]
Owner, Ross Rounds(tm), the finest in comb honey production.
http://www.rossrounds.com