From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 16:35:56 +0100
Hi Allen

 > it looks to me as if you are saying that morphometrics is only good
for comparison and selection within a known population of honey bees.
If so, by extension, I would see that as suggesting that the technique
is not well suited to identifying the race of unknown samples of honey bees.

Morphometry can be used for fine detail within a closed population or to
classify unknown samples into racial groupings, the measurements taken
will be different for the two purposes, but both approaches are possible.

I have caused some of the confusion as I am normally dealing with
populations of bees that are already well known and documented as far as
racial typing is concerned, whereas in USA there are a great many more
possibilities as to race and sub races.

Morphometry is no 'magic bullet' and should never be the final arbiter
in decision making.

Because of the very high incidence of crossings among what were never
'certified pure' stocks in the first place, there is a difficulty
determining 'race' in US bees, but if sample numbers are high and the
number of bees within the sample is also high, the first pass of
morphometric examination, may or may not show clear cut results, but
this first lot of data would at least show the way to further tests that
would refine some of the detail.

Any morphometry project is only as good as the database that it is
founded upon, In Europe we use Ruttner's well established data and still
argue over some of the fine details, but if you are trying to identify
something like AHB, you will need a database that has been developed
from colonies that are known to be AHB by behaviour that can be traced
back to Kerr's experiment.

I was going to try and apply morphometry to the feral bee stocks that
have been mentioned a lot lately, but I fell at the first hurdle...
There is nothing specific to bees that are living in the wild (feral),
simply because bees are well able to survive without beekeeper
intervention and being 'in the wild' is nothing special. I think that
all the measuring would show is that such stocks tend towards an average
or lowest common denominator.

Regards & Best 73s, Dave Cushman, G8MZY
http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman or http://www.dave-cushman.net
Short FallBack M/c, Build 6.02/3.1 (stable)