From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 May 1997 22:30:49 -0700
On Sun, 25 May 1997, Curtis L. Spacek wrote:

> the FDA is part of the U S government right?need I say more?

 Hi Curtis,

 You have a point. I spent 32 1/2 years working for the government. I have
seen extremes both ways. In the early 60's I worked with radiation on
nuclear power plants. We now have a safe level that is 1/8 of what we had
then as a safe level.I worked 2 1/2 years with 2000 compounds that were
under the control of the EPA. We were learning as we were going.We
recieved a 13 million dollar fine for uncontroled PCB's. They are all over
and in cars made before 1979. We beat most of the fines.
 The USDA will use most of the info provided by the producer as a grounds
for OK-ing of the use of a compound.When an industry is in trouble and the
need is great, the rules change. How about asbestos. The government knew
that it was a health hazard in the 40's.We needed it for the war effort.
It is hard to know how many people have died of cancer do to the use of
asbestos. I have asbestosis and have been told by expert Doctors that if
everything else in my body is ok, I will die of cancer , do to the
asbestosis.They shure protected me.
 All chemicals have the potential to be harmful to humans.You can't drink
a lot of salt water. Everyone must take the use of chemicals as a serious
undertaking.Don't use them unless you have to and then only as
directed.How safe they are only time will tell. Some things you can't get
out of your system.
 Beekeepers need to keep the use of chemicals to an absolute minimum.We
are to provide a healthy product for people to enjoy. Its in the Big Book.
Honey is pure and sweet and good to the taste. If your out of line with
that, your in trouble. We need the people that use honey every day to keep
the knowledge that it is pure and sweet.We loose that because of a few and
we loose the whole game.The red apple people here in Washington state will
tell you why they cut down there Red  D apple trees.They put in Granny
smith so they could sell them.Atar was a misstake to make red apples even
a deeper red.
 The mites are a problem. I did have some and lost 50 of 80 hives , two
years ago. No mites now.People are still working on mint oils , so it is
too soon to start everyone using them. Mint oils are not all the same.
Each cutting is different. 3 cuttings a year.We need a norm so we are all
on the same page.We have researchers working out some potential problems.
It is toxic to bees if it is too strong.I don't expect beekeepers to stop
using Apistan in the USA.We need a long term fix and it should be
natural.Bee breeding is one way and it will take time to come to a genetic
soulution.
 Lets all of us keep our eyes and minds open. We all can help and I know
that the USDA has asked for our help.Lets give them a queen that seems to
carry the genetic material that will fight the mite on there own.Don't
worry about the chemical companys , they have plenty of other things to
work on other than the mite.I know , my oldest Son just recieved his
degree in Chemistry from the U of Washington. We are working with Honey
Bees and they are special to all of nature.We can not afford to loose them
or run too fast and not look far into the future for our children.
 Each one of us is responsible and looking at comments from around the
world, some seem to be a little more careful than others. We can all learn
from each other.
 God Bless
 Best Regards
 Roy