From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jul 2013 08:44:03 -0700
>I do not understand the rationale for the study; i.e. why didn't

> the researchers first attempt to determine if the prevalence of
> nosema infection correlates well with heavy vs low insecticide
> and fungicide usage areas?

Paul, there are additional variables (humidity, crop, nutritional value of
pollen) between areas of high and low fungicide use.  But your point is
well taken--there is CAP data on that.  I'll see whether I can get some.

This study involved the calculation of relative risk of developing an
infection after inoculation--less than a quarter of the inoculated bees
became infected.

Unfortunately, the paper does not include supplemental information on which
pollens with which combinations of residues were tested, the age at which
the bees were sacrificed, the number of controls, etc.  I've been
corresponding with the senior author to suggest that such information would
be of interest to some.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA