From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 2009 19:57:04 -0700
> Two of the papers I would be very interested to read would be:

Stan, both of those papers are readily available on the internet by simply
Googling the titles.  Please, no offense to you, but I'm always surprised
when folk send me requests for papers without having first made a minimal
effort to simply download them themselves!

However, I would be happy to send them to you off list.

For the benefit of the List, it appears that IMD does not affect termite
cellular immune defense, but rather inhibits the ability of termites to
groom the mold spores off their bodies.

> >But as a specific question for David Fischer that I think you would be
> interested in asking,  I would suggest  "Has Bayer studied the synergistic
> effects of imidacloprid and nosema apis and ceranae on honeybees?"

Dr. Fischer and I discussed this when N ceranae was first discovered.  Dr
Fischer was enthusiastic, but the timing was not right for a field trial to
begin.  I suggested to the HBAB that they pursue research on the subject.

 >And if they haven't, why not, given that they know that it enhances the
> lethality of other mycopathogens and have trademarked the "effect"

Stan, termites are a special case.  IMD does not appear to "enhance the
lethality" (let's be careful of interpreting labels) of mycopathogens in
termites, it simply changes termite behavior to inhibit grooming enough that
some spores are able to germinate on the termite's cuticle.

> >BTW,  I am sorry if you felt I was putting you down in any way for being
> on a committee with Bayer, or that I do not appreciate those efforts.

Thank you Stan.  I will also send you other info off list.

Randy Oliver