From:
Diana Sammataro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 1995 13:57:44 -0500
>I hadn't heard about using drones.  Interesting.  Are they
>particularly susceptible?

        YES DRONES are a good source for mites and if you are doing the
tracheal dissection technique I decribed, not the disks, drones are much
easier to use.

>Well, maybe I'm not doing it right, but I've found it pretty slow.  I
>used windsheild washer antifreeze -

        I take out a cooler with ice or ice packs and put the bees I
collect in a vial or jar in that.  They stop moving and are dead especially
if the cooler is cold.  Any other liquid will darken the tissues making it
hard to see the mites and tubes.

>>From what you say, I assume that you are saying just to look at the
>first set of trachea and ignore the rest? - Just look for *bad*
>cases?  Maybe I'm being too fussy and it is slowing me down?

        YES, ALL THE mites you need to see will be in the prothoracic
tracheal tubes.

>Moreover - adding to my confusion - a friend - the fellow who showed
>me how, said that mild (beginning) infestations are often missed
>because the mites are right at the spiracle, so that added to my
>worries.

        THIS IS TRUE.  And with mild infestations, my may miss mites
        altogehter.

>You recommended putting the samples for tracheal tests into a jar and
>freezing overnight, then rolling in the morning.
>
>The varroa, if any, would stick to the condensation on the jar and be
>seen - am I right?

I DON"T think this was me, but sounds good.

>I'm sorry to appear so dense about this - and I know this is easy once
>you've done it a few times - but the first time or two, one doesn't
>know what is important and what is not.

        Just keep trying, my mite-dissection video should be available next
year, as soon as I finish my dissertation.

Diana Sammataro
Dept Entomology
The Ohio State University,
1735 Neil Ave.