Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 1993 10:48:00 GMT
Hi beeliners,
                As a semiochemical researcher who is new in the bee world,
I am looking around for interesting research projects. One area which interests
me concerns the potential of bees to locate new nests by odour. I understand
from the literature that this has not been proven and is disputed by some
sources (eg Alford). Has anyone got any info which may be of use to me. I
have collected several bumblebee colonies and am now interested on getting some
virgin queens, which I can mate and test their choices. What is the best
way to obtain some queens which I could test this winter/autumn - I understand
CO2 does the trick, but when should I start looking for queens and when should
I CO2 them? I am in the UK and our timing may be different from the literature
I have seen - Can anyone help me,
Best wishes,
Guy Poppy