From:
Ellen Anglin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 May 2000 22:30:44 -0700
If you use the shims between supers, yes, you will be
taking out wild comb each time you open them- it can
get pretty messy. But they do have good uses!

I have used similar shims on top of the top super to
create a more generous top opening, and the bees love
it! They prefer this enterance to the one at the
bottom!

The shims I have (Homemade) are deep enough that I can
place them between hive bodies, and lay a queen cage
in the middle- no removing frames and fiddleing with
hanging the queen cage.  After three days I remove the
empty cage, remove the small amount of wild comb they
have built, and put the colony back to rights- quicker
than fiddling with putting frames back in, etc., the
old way.

I have also stapled 8 mesh hardware cloth to one side
of some of my shims.  If I discover swarm cells on the
bottom bars of the top hive body, I can insert this
divider to make an instant split- old queen below, a
couple swarm cells left up top above the new
enterance, and I am set untill I can get back with
more equipment to do a proper split.

These screened shims are also dandy for setting up a
nuc on top of an established colony- the nuc has it's
own enterance, but can still get heat from the colony
below.

The extra space when a shim is added also ensures that
a swarm cell on the bottom of a frame is not damaged
by hitting the top of the frame below when you place
the frame in another colony. (Requeening using swarm
cells.)

I place a spacer (Or two) on top of a colony
and use the extra space to provide fondant, pollen or
syrup in baggies.  (What is a baggie feeder but an
extra deep shim with the enternce sealed?)
Broken/burr comb can also be left on top of the colony
in one of these for clean up, before solar melting.

Use your imagination! I keep finding new uses for
these handy spacers. I sliced a couple rotten old hive
bodies into 1/2 to 1 inch spacers, and I keep finding
new uses for them.

Ellen Anglin