From:
"Moote, John M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 May 1995 02:01:55 -0400
Mike wrote:

>SUBJECT: hiving packaged bees
>I hived a 3 lb. package of Italians 7 days ago.  I need to check to see if
>the queen is laying, but the weather is rainy and in the low-mid 50's
today.
>Should I go ahead and check?  It is supposed to be highs in the 50's the
next
>few days.  I need to find out what's going on, and whether I need another
>queen, but I don't want to hurt the hive.  Any advice?

>Mick Youther
>In the Beautiful Shawnee Hills
>of Southern Illinois

Mike -

I started out this year, too, and I treated with Terramycin at 0, 5 and 12
days (0,4, 8 were preferred , but the weather didn't cooperate), so I needed
to go into the hive at these times.  I didn't see much.  At day 12, I think
the queen just started laying.  I must have had some larva but I really
couldn't see them very well.  With the cool weather, I didn't want to keep
the frames out more than 20 to 30 secs.

Another problem, I understand, is "balling" the queen with early
inspections.  The workers will kill her sometimes when inspections precede
day 10.  Luckily this didn't happen to me, although the day 5 treatment with
Terra was just that; open sprinkle and close.  Last Saturday's inspection,
at day 19 showed capped brood (finally).

I only inspect when the weather is above 55F and the bees are relatively
active at the entrance.  Pure observation at the hive entrance also seemed
even better than pulling the hive apart.  If the workers are taking sugar
syrup, bringing in pollen (especially) at the rate of one to every six or so
workers and seem generally in "good spirits", I wouldn't worry.

My recommendation is to wait a while and inspect next week unless you really
suspect that something happened to the queen.

John Moote