Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2010 15:04:54 EST
One of the issues I have with foundation is that it reduces the diversity
in the size of the bees.  In the wild all cells are not the standard worker
or drone size and this results in various size workers.  Various size
workers can do different task, which is the diversity issue again.

interesting implications for our bees.....we are using mainly worker
foundation at the expense of the natural 14%-17% drones......we are losing
diversity in our bees.  worker foundation was developed in the late  1800's.
Beekeepers wanted more honey and believed more workers would give  them more
honey.....seems to me I read some research way back when that found  there was
not much difference between the worker foundation amount of honey  yield and
using naturally occuring mix of drone/workers.....   I  believe this is but
one of the problems we have introduced into our  hives......this is one
reason why Chris Slade and I have gone to foundationless  frames..........
The reason for this is the bees control how many drones are produced.
When nectar is plentiful, they produce more drones,  when nectar is less,  they
produce fewer drones.  When nectar is plentiful, they are able to also
produce more workers.  So the benefit of worker foundation is  min.....