From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Mar 2012 19:06:09 -0300

> > I did go on the oregano/thymol essential oils bandwagon and am completely
> off it now. My experience is that it does not work for nosema or Varroa in
> cold climates like Maine.
>
> > Thymol applications like apiguard and apilife var do work here. But I am
> going with Formic acid which gave the best results last year.

You are talking about varroa control and not nosema. I am not aware of any
bandwagon in terms of carvacrol/oregano, but off course there was one with
Thymol/Thymol. Again I do not want to promote anything, I am waiting to
read a real controled experiment, but I am sure Thymol and Oregano are
different beasts in terms of amount of each essential oil. Thymol is mainly
thymol, while oregano is mainly carvacrol. Would that make a difference?
That is what I want to know. In the mean time I have faced out fumagilin so
not to risk out european market.

>A s a complete aside. We have had a mild winter and are in an early warming
> spring. The bees are fine around Maine, but expect losses later because of
> the early warming and potential problems with starvation. If the forcasts I
> read last year are correct, and so far they have been, we will see a
> cooling in April and a return to "winter" and then the real, albeit short,
> spring, just like we had last year. Terrible for bees. Many years ago, when
> the same thing happened, I lost a roaring colony that looked like June but
> in April. All it took was four days of freezing weather and they died. (We
> were in DC for a wedding.) Classic starvation with loads of stores only an
> inch away. That is when I learned about putting candy right on top of the
> cluster.

Clearly we are going out a moderate La Niņa and back to a La Nada situation
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/enso/monitoring/nino3_4.png
and most probably we will go down to a la Niņa again around June/july but
to early to bet.
Indeed a terrible scenario also for Chile.

Juanse Barros J.
APIZUR S.A.
Carrera 695
Gorbea - CHILE