Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2012 09:41:31 -0400
 > If you are referring to me, that was not what I said.  I was simply
 > disagreeing with your saying that no one was trying to bring new products
 > to market.

I don't know why this is getting to feel like an argument, rather than a
discussion.  I intentionally avoid addressing individuals where I can
when writing to the list because it is not all about any one person and
hi/her beliefs or sensitivities.    When I write, I address ideas, not
people,
and seldom write to or for just one person.  When I do, I don't send it
to BEE-L which people seem to forget is an audience of 800+ members,
plus countless other readers and deserves our respect in the same way
as any serious assembly of 1000 people does.

It seems we are largely in agreement, and simply turning these topics
around and around, looking at them from different sides and poking
them a bit.

We all use a little hyperbole from time to time, assuming
that readers have a sense of humour and ROTFL from time to time
when reading some of the apparently serious setups. ('straight lines').
but not everyone always has a sense of humour or recognises the setup.

It is my opinion that we have all become deceived by the common
and increasingly prevalent misconception that the so-called 'soft'
treatments are anywhere near as effective as the synthetics and that they
are for some reason, more harmless to people, bees, and the environment.

It seems that everyone is afraid to look too hard for a new synthetic
because of the fallout.  It is far safer politically to try to employ the
'natural' products because they get a free ride in popular opinion,
even if they may in fact be more toxic and more harmful and much
less effective in many cases.

Researchers and chemical companies know which way the wind
blows and go with the flow.  They know what happens if you go against
the flow.  The events surrounding the early provision of an amitraz
product in the US illustrated that clearly.

We also seem to be forgetting that the 'naturals' require contortions in our
schedules and our hive configurations and require our accepting
frequent and unpredictable serious collateral damage as 'normal'.

A few years with a synthetic that really works and which has few proven
downsides is a real eye-opener as to what bees can actually achieve
when varroa is not a burden and the treatments are not time-wasters
and hard on the bees..

Give it a try.  Hundreds of commercial beekeepers can't be wrong.