From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Dec 2001 07:41:15 -0500
Lloyd Spear wrote:

> I don't lack for an opinion about inspection programs and it is...get rid=
>  of them.  Put in their place a real Extension Program, largely run by vo=
> lunteers (as are most all Extension Programs), but with the paid staff th=
> at is necessary to support those volunteers.  Have the Extension Program =
> provide advice to hobbyists, sideliners and commercial beekeepers, as the=
> y do to gardeners, small farmers, large farmers, and ranchers.  Those ins=
> pectors that know beekeeping and share excitement and satisfaction from h=
> elping others will find meaningful compensation within the Extension Prog=
> ram, by helping and directing the volunteers.  Limit Government Programs =
> to human safety issues...and tread carefully even there.     =20

Lloyd,
Boy, do I disagree. Probably because we have the best Bee Inspector in
the US here in Maine. I would not think of shifting it to the extension
agents nor to "qualified" volunteers since they are few and far between.
And it would only dilute attention to beekeeping since there are
thousands of gardeners after the agents time compared to one beekeeper.
With State budgets the way they are, do not expect any extension agent
to be more qualified in beekeeping than the semi informed hobbyist he
helps. And there will no visits, since most work by the agent is done by
phone, unless you are a large farmer and have clout.

BTW. When I started keeping bees, that same inspector's first visit to
my newly bought (through another beekeeper) hives resulted in burning
the lot since they were infected with AFB. And the beekeeper I bought
them through would have been looked on by most, including me at the
time, as qualified and a great candidate for the extension office. Which
might be why we went to State Inspectors in the first place.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Me