From:
"Gordon L. Scott" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 1995 08:52:25 GMT
In message  <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:
> >My debate is do I put them in the country where there may be
> >more pollen sources but I will only be able to observe them once a week
> >(sometimes every other week). Or do I keep them in the city where I can
> >observe their flying, etc. daily but may not have as much pollen source?
>
> I once read that city bees actually do better than bees in the country in
> one of the bee books.

I believe that bees do indeed usually do better in cities than the
country.   I  guess that there is plenty of forage in most places,
but not too much competition for it.

The last Govenor of the Bank of England in the City of London used
to  keep  several  hives right on the roof of the bank and reports
that he always had excellent crops, even in  bad  years.   If  you
look  quickly  around  the City, you'd say there was _nothing_ for
them but if you look closer there are lots  of  little  places  --
roof  gardens,  hanging  baskets,  tubs  on balconies, tiny little
gardens (a few by the river) and so on.  I doubt that forage would
be a problem even in an area like Manhattan.

Regards,
--
Gordon Scott          [log in to unmask]   Compuserve 100332,3310
Basingstoke Beekeeper [log in to unmask]