From:
Steve Genta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jul 1996 12:25:14 -0400
Greetings Ann,   I manage about 15 to 25 hives here in Greenville, S.C.  I
would not want to be without my upper entrance holes in the supers.  Our main
honey flow is in the spring (tulip poplar) and ther are times when I have to
put on two supers at a time.  The extra hole allows the bees to bring the
nectar right to the honey supers instead of having to bring it all the way up
from the brrod nest.  My hives brought in five supers each, and I run brood
chambers with a super used for food storage for the queen.  The upper
entrances are used as much as the main entrance.  The upper holes do have
guard bees there to protect them from being robbed.  Just try putting your
hand over the hole.  I have not seen any drawbacks from using the upper
entrances.  It also helps in ventilation during the winter months.

Steve Genta  [log in to unmask]