From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 2004 09:18:40 -0500
This is an article I wrote years ago on this subject for the Maine State
beekeepers, so you will see what kind of stuff I inflicted on my
readers. They forgave me.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine

One of the great questions of our age has finally been answered- how
much sugar do I use with what amount of water to get a 1:1 or 2:1 sugar
syrup for feeding to my bees. Heloise has the solution (there is a pun
there) from a “leading sugar manufacturer”.

1 lb. sugar = 2 1/4 cups
2 lb. sugar = 4 1/2 cups
4 lb. sugar = 9 cups
5 lb. sugar = 11 1/4 cups

1 lb. water = 2 cups

So, if you want a 2:1  syrup for fall feeding, it would be one 5 lb. bag
of sugar to 5 cups of water.

To really make it simple, here are the amounts for each:

2:1 sugar syrup

2 1/4 cups sugar to 1 cup water
5 lb. bag of sugar to 5  cups water

1:1 sugar syrup

2 1/4 cups sugar to 2 cups (1 pint) water
5 lb. bag of sugar to 10 cups (5 pints) water

You should not boil the sugar/water mix together for any length of time
because it changes chemically and has been found not to be good for
overwintering bees because some will get dysentery and die. You do not
notice the effect in the summer, because of the buildup of bees which
replace the ones that die. Also do not use cream of tartar to keep the
syrup from crystallizing. It also causes dysentery and will kill your
bees. The best way to make syrup is to boil some water and pour it over
the sugar and mix it until the sugar dissolves. There may be some
crystals left, but the bees and you can live with a little imperfection.
After all, our friends put up with us and we are not perfect. The bees
will not hold it against you, especially the Buckfast who are very
forgiving, due to their monastery upbringing.

With the 2:1 syrup, you might find it is a  little too thick and
crystallizes out. I usually use about 5 1/2 cups of water and it seems
to be a better mix. But I was never very good about following directions.