From:
mark berninghausen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 17:07:26 -0800
IMHO a very good detailed question of which I have no idea. I sure hope someone has a better answer than I.
  Mark

"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Hello All,

The AFB tolerance mechanisms in honeybees are one of
the most fascinating aspects in honeybee disease
tolerance, IMO more so than the Varroa issue. But
I’m perplexed on how is one to select for AFB
tolerance in their bees if the commonwealth has no
tolerance for AFB in honeybee colonies?

Anyhow, working around this problem, I am looking at
the moment 'specifically' at the AFB resistance by
action of the honey stopper.

In the honeybees, AFB spores are removed from food
suspension by action of the honey stopper. Please
correct me if I am mistaken, AFB spores range in size
from 2.5 to 5 microns, and I assume the honey stoppers
purpose is to remove contaminates from the honey.

Now, in a hypothetical experiment:
In your opinion,

If colored particle matter of 3 microns (lets say
blue) was mixed in a sugared solution and fed to
honeybees. Would you expect the processed solution
stored in cells to show up as a less concentrated blue
color in the colonies that have a highly developed AFB
tolerance in the honey stopper, and having the
capability to filter out the contaminate?
Or is the action in the honeystopper AFB spore
specific?

Very Best Regards,
Joe Waggle
PA