From:
Frank Fox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 15:54:38 -0600
several yrs. ago came across article on demaree splits & cannot find it in my magazine library.  i THINK it was an issue of ABJ.  can anyone help?  it was a pretty good one & included visual aids as well as a detailed description (demaree for dummies!).  can anyone point me in the right direction?  i have 7 yrs.' worth of back issues.  i am just not seeing the article.  thank you, frank fox  nashville, tn

>>> Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]> 01/09 9:10 AM >>>
Hi All

I do not know what OAC stands for.

Pollen trapping has been part of my routine for 18/19 years.

I have no drawings available yet, but it is my intention to draw up my
system and put it on my website.

I will briefly outline it...
My floors have a mesh panel in them (originally a travel screen) but more
recently used for varroa monitoring with a slide in tray.

To use them for pollen collecting...the tray is replaced by a drawer with
fine nylon mesh as a bottom panel.

I then place a "stripping screen" between the brood box and the floor.

The stripper is built like an inner cover but with a plastic pollen stripper
insert that has star shaped holes in it. This insert is above the centre of
the mesh that is in the floor.

I use two porter escapes for bee and drone exit.

I make no provision for drone return...They will find residence in other
colonies.

In use the bees enter through the normal entrance but can only get to the
colony by crawling through the star shaped holes. the stripped pellets of
pollen fall through the mesh to the drawer below.

The fine nylon mesh bottom to the drawer gives enough ventillation to stop
the pollen going mouldy.

When I have drawn this all up I will post it on "Bee Gadgets" List.

Regards Dave Cushman