From:
Carlos Aparicio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Aug 1998 01:06:18 -0300
        The black bee is "apis mellifera mellifera", and the blonde bee is
"apis mellifera ligústica".
        The black bee, is something larger than ligústica, their tongue is
shorter, their colonies are more uniforms (larger winter colonies) and is
stronger for hard winter conditions. When the better time for blonde bee is
mid summer, for black bee is late summer.
        The natural environment for black bee is Atlantic shore of Europe,
and for ligústica is the mediterranean weather, more benign than the former.
        Some people found black bee more difficult of work for a hard
character, and tendency to sting.
        More important, is than black bee, is stronger for diseases, mainly
mites.
        To day, there is several organisations in England and France who are
going back to dark bee (Information on Bee Improvement and Bee Breeders'
Association can be obtained from the Honorary Secretary Albert Knight

        Here in Uruguay (South America) with a temperate weather (35º south
lattitude) we have a stabilized hybrid  between both races, which is very
resistant to mites and we have apiaries with 3000 bees whicn are doing no
treatmente against varroa.

        Regards:

        CARLOS APARICIO