From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 2008 19:28:54 -0400
> with the "crisis"  in bee land whatever
> happened to the label for OA?

Since Marion Ellis did his work,

http://tinyurl.com/42j3tc
or
http://www.epa.gov/pesp/regional_grants/2005/R7-2005.htm

not all that much has happened.
By "not all that much", I mean "absolutely nothing at all".

But we can all take heart in this advice from the EPA:

http://tinyurl.com/3tjnde
or
http://www.epa.gov/oppsrrd1/REDs/factsheets/4070fact.pdf

Which says, in part:

"Oxalic acid is exempt from the requirement
of a tolerance (or legal residue limit) when
it is used as an inert ingredient in pesticide
formulations that are applied to growing or
harvested crops.  EPA also is regulating oxalic
acid under its Inerts Strategy."

So one CAN use Oxalic Acid today under the
regulations that exist if one reads carefuly.

One applies a 3.5% solution of oxalic acid crystals
dissolved in 1:1 sugar syrup to make the INERT
carrier solution, and add a single drop of
whatever ACTIVE ingredient one has chosen to kill
mites.  For an ACTIVE ingredient, one might choose
anything from the fabled Food-Grade Mineral Oil to
Formic Acid, to the melted wax from one of Dee
Lusby's magical small cells.

One can apply the solutions to the top bars holding the
crop of wax one is growing down in the brood chambers,
where bees are most enthusiastic about drawing new wax
quickly. I tend to harvest the 2 oldest frames of wax
from each brood chamber every spring, so I apply 50ml
of the solution to the top bars of 2 frames in
the lowest brood chamber.

It does a WONDERFUL job of repelling the wax moth, and
protecting my spring wax harvest.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.  :)