From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 2014 15:47:05 -0500
> " We are losing a battle on what I view as an important HELPFUL pesticide," OK Charlie now I get it. You have an opinion that you want to support. You VIEW the neonics as "helpful" so you are supportive of anything that will corroborate your view. This is anathema to science. In science, we MUST be objective...we cannot "root for the team"

Alternatively, many of us think that the preponderance of the evidence supports the view that neonics are in fact safer; certainly safer than older products like malathion, parathion, etc.

But there is a huge group that wants to keep the question open, "teach the controversy", etc. because they also have an opinion that they want to support. Many of these people erroneously believe the human race can produce food without pest control products, another pleasant fiction.

At some point scientists look at an issue as settled and move on. There are always perennial doubters who never accept the mainstream viewpoint, and also, people that are just flat wrong.

PLB