From:
JOHN IANNUZZI <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 1995 13:56:36 -0400
> >I quote a recent article by Hugo Hansen in the Norwegian beekeeping journal
> ><Biroekt>:
> >"...Wasps *love* nectar. So they capture a (returning) bee in the air, bite
> >through where it is thinnest and simply take the thorax back home as
> >a bag of honey. I hate wasps!...."
> >
> >Protein or nectar? I have never seen it happen myself and this year we
> >seem to have a dearth of wasps (thank goodness) so not much chance of
> >observing attacks. What is the answer?
> >
> >Cheers,
> >Tony Morgan
>
> Perhaps something was lost in the translation, since the honey stomach (the
> "bag of honey") is located in the abdomen, at least as far as I know...
>
> Doug Yanega      Illinois Natural History Survey, 607 E. Peabody Dr.
> Champaign, IL 61820 USA     phone (217) 244-6817, fax (217) 333-4949
>   "There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness
>         is the true method" - Herman Melville, Moby Dick, Chap. 82

     Along these lines butnot directly apropos to the query,
when I was at Apimondia Nagoya 1985?, I visited an apiary
--in a net-covered orchard where each piece of fruit was
enclosed in a paper bag--where the wasp problem--the Mandarins
where as big as elephants--was so bad that each hive had a
wasp trap mounted at the entrance!  C'est la vie.

   Jack the B-man  ellicottcity md usa 1359 17jul95