From:
T & M Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2000 22:24:42 +1000
Stan Sandler wrote

> Perhaps Trevor will comment on the Torres Strait protecting Australia, as
> know he is involved with that protection.  Not near as much human movement
> there.

We have a natural barrier by sea of 35 kilometres (about 22 miles) between
islands that the Asian bees (Apis cerana) from Papua New Guinea have not
breached.  We are fairly comfortable with this as there are two areas where
they have not breached this distance in the past 8 years since they arrived
on our door step.  There are no Apis mellifera in these areas as we are
maintaining a ban on keeping of bees of the genus Apis in these islands so
cannot comment on how far mellifera would go.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA