From:
Dan Buchsbaum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 1995 20:05:50 -500

> I have also sold large quantities of honey for people to feed to their racing
> greyhounds and horses, in fact I once had a wealthy racehorse owner who not
> only fed his horses the best quality honey but dosed them with royal jelly as
> well.
>
> Again truth is stranger than fiction.
>

> Robert Rice
> Apicultural Service Manager
> South Island, New Zealand.

Juliette de Bairacli Levy states in her book, The Complete Herbal
Handbook for Farm and Stable, that Arabian horsemen routinely fed honey
to their horses to give them strength, vitality, and fertility.  It is
considered the first of the heart tonics, seconded by rosemary.
I feed it to any of my goats who are ill.  It soothes internal
inflamations and calms those annoying coughs.
It's interesting to note that Hippocrates ("Father of Medicine")
considered hydromel (honey and water) and oxymel (vinegar and honey) the
basic medicines for most treatments.
I bought this book initially to naturally treat my livestock, but it also
has a section on naturally treating bees!
-Cynthia
Houston, TX

* To the uninitiated..we're talking raw honey here!