From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 2009 00:03:09 -0500
Honeybees, Communicative Order, and the Collapse of Ecosystems by Peter Harries-Jones

> The paper examines the sudden disappearance in the United States of millions of honeybees in managed bee colonies. The major research undertaken in the U.S. concentrates on finding the pathogens responsible. This paper suggests an alternative avenue of research a) that as a result of global warming there is a disjunction between bees pollinating cycles and the life cycle of plants b) that understanding changes in “timing cycles” as a result of global warming is the key to understanding the disappearance of the bees.

> I suggest that a topology of ‘real’ feedback loops is possible to display through the medium of a torus, itself a heterarchical topological form able to display heterarchies. Such a topology would be able to trace and make visible the variety of “go-betweens,” like honeybees, which relate human activity to insect activity to plant activity to the circularities of life cycle in climate change.

Keywords Communication . Honeybee-plant recursions . Sterile nectar . Go-betweens in ecosystems . Gregory Bateson . Don McNeil . Topology of timing cycles

[Opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has them but none of them hold much water.]