From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 1996 16:55:07 -0400
Gerry Visel wrote
>I think the information on oils for mites is just too new for
>legitimate comments.  I have put wintergreen in my syrup
>feeders this fall.  I'll let you all know in the spring...
>It's too big a problem to ignore though.

I for one am glad to see you trying the new ideas. But, and it's a big but.
Dr. Amrine said quite categorically that essential oils will not work if
just used in the hive top feeder, it needs to be fed at the entrance. He
states I quote "In all cases of successful treatments, the essential oils
were delivered to the brood nest of the treated colonies. The importance of
this last observation can not be overemphasized" He then goes on to explain
in great detail as to why.

 Gerry Visel continued with
>I did find one problem.  After they took the first baggie of
>regular syrup down (very quickly) I put new bags on with the
>wintergreen/syrup mixture.  The oil separates from the syrup
>and rises to the top, and (being concentrated,) kills some
>bees.
>
>Any ideas on how to deliver the oil in syrup without it
>separating???

Again Dr.Amrine explained to add the oil use hot water in the syrup mixing.
The old adage 'Oil and water do not mix' should be remembered, it will take
time for the surface viscosity to break down and mix throughly.
   * David Eyre          9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,  *
   * The Beeworks,    Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H1. *
   * [log in to unmask]      705-326-7171 *
   * http://www.muskoka.net/~beeworks           *
   *  Agents for: E H Thorne &  B J Sherriff UK. *