From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Oct 2011 22:23:40 -0500
>Where are the beekeepers?

The problem has long been the American public is for the most part "asleep
at the wheel".
When they do *wake up* the *horse* has left the barn.

Exactly what has happened with GMO was predicted and not reversible.

In commercial beekeeping circles GMO pollen contamination was discussed
years ago. The
problem was a David & Goliath issue and we were busy fighting honey dumping
from China at the time.

Those on the list which monitor the Midwest Honey Producers *hot line* might
remember the recording talking about the discussions.

The first to really bring up the issue were the commercial beekeepers trying
to export honey to the U.K.. I personally looked at the issue and advised
the ABF I  saw no solution for commercial beekeepers wanting to export to
those countries refusing honey with GMO pollen.

If we can't even get proper labels as to exactly what are in products
and *exact* country of origne  why would we ever think we can stop problems
before problems arise.

GMO contamination of organic can not be reversed in the U.S..

The government officials are not stupid.

Never admit fault is the rule they go by.

Those informed knew from the first GMO seed release.

Monsanto has had years to prepare for issues from organic growers and those
which *believe* ingesting GMO is bad for your health.

The reality is the U.S. government is the only entity powerful enough (with
the resources) to prevent
future problems with new products and solve curent problems.
. If you look back through history you will
see times when products were allowed sold without proper testing.

Commercial beekeepers are a very small group. As my friend Jim Fischer said
years ago on BEE-L.

In beekeeping if you go to national meetings you will meet *most*
 of the people you read about in bee magazines.

Not so in most occupations or hobbies.

The national bee organizations complain (or make resolutions)
to big ag & chemical companies but lack serious clout to make changes.

bob