From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 00:36:39 -0500
"Lipscomb, Al" wrote:

> 2) Since the reason given to pasteurized honey is to kill botulism, and I
> understand that botulism is a spore producing bacteria, what is the gain?

This is precisely right - there is no point at all in pasteurizing honey for
botulism control.  Botulism spores are everywhere (honey, fruit and
vegetables, etc.) and are no problem at all to the adult disgestive tract.  It
is only when they encounter conditions which enable them to germinate and
produce their toxin (such as in the newborn baby's digestive tract) that they
become dangerous.

In my opinion, if there is any point at all to pasteruizing honey, it is to
kill yeasts and prevent fermentation in wet honey.  How much better to produce
good honey in the first place, forget about pasteurizing, and protect the
delicate flavor of natural honey.

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan USA