From:
Yoon Sik Kim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2007 14:58:20 -0400
Hello, Gang,

A few days ago, I got a call from Legacy Park, a local retirement home in
Shawnee, OK, regarding a swarm clustered on a small tree branch on its
perimeter.  It had swarmed, in fact, the previous night, and got rained
on, which reduced the original large swarm to the size of a football by
the time I arrived at the scene.

Here are a few observations about this particular swarm that drew my
attention on their strange behavior, which forced me to think they were or
could be indeed AHB’s.

1) The size of their cluster was relatively small, less than the size of a
football.
2) Once I removed the initial cluster, the invisible parent colony spun
off a few more, all smaller than football, typically the size of a
grapefruit.  Their cluster size being nearly equal, I could not ascertain
them to be the primary and the secondary swarms.
3) One word that might sum up their behavior was they were agitated or
excited, constantly flying over me and the cluster location.  I know a
swarm can be in a bad mood once rained on particularly overnight.  But
they were exceptionally “nervous.”
4) When I boxed them and relocated to Research Farm early in the morning,
nearly all of them crawled out onto the truck bed where I had the box
whereas another colony I also moved remained calm.
5) To entice them, I have given them two deeps with some drawn combs, but
they elected not to stay put (to my relief?); personally, I wanted to keep
them to further observe their progress: buildup, foraging, mite-
resistance, etc.  At one point, all of them got out and clustered beneath
outside the screened bottom board; it was then when I smelled that they
might escape.  No I did not have a queen excluder to block the queen in,
either.  When I poured them back in on the landing board, they all looked
and behaved as if "bewildered," not going into the box quickly.
6) Their presence apparently made nearby colonies agitated as well since
some of them, being disoriented, tried to enter neighboring colonies.

Around 2003 the Oklahoma State University Extension Office did a DNA test
on a swarm in downtown Shawnee, OK, and they confirmed the presence of
AHB’s in my area, which excited me.  But till the other day, I have not
seen any weird behavior I am describing above.  All the drones looked much
smaller; most important, some of the bees’ thorax had this light tan
color, as if they belonged to different sub species, a color I have never
seen.  There were quite a few of those “mutations,” including drones. I
felt as though I were looking at a more primitive version of scuts
whatever they might have looked like in the past.

Any one with AHB swarm experience?