Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2012 14:35:27 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
> 
> I treated about 15 double deep 20 frames of bees strong back in march here in central va with temps in the 70s or so. We had a nice but unusual maple and redbud nectar flow. I thought things were perfect. 

I added the recommended super and open screen bottoms as I'm too lazy to close. Also figured it would be safer...

I had a 30% queen loss or supercedure. All however recovered and doing great on there own making honey.

I followed the instructions to a tee and I'm not an idiot either so I can not grasp my opinion on MAQS. 

I like the ease of installation and it is perfect for our early and short nectar flow but 30% is hard to swallow.

Next time I will use a single strip to play with. 

I did not have high mite counts at the time but higher than our typical march hives so I was and am concerned with late June or July crashing due to the early season.

But we shall see. I do have apiguard thymol gel in my " back pocket" as it fits the niche for our higher temp julys and Augusts.

Good luck and keep us posted as I do like the idea of a quick fix, but as with life quick fixes usually have there consequences...

That's my 2012 experience anyway...
The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Guidelines for posting to BEE-L can be found at:
http://honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm

ATOM RSS1 RSS2