From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 10:34:30 -0600
Hello James & All,
James wrote;
believe the reeds work better but are not as cute in a yard/ garden setting.
 I have had blackberry canes recommended. Cut them to length and tie a
 bundle together and put them in a secluded place.

I have never used the blackberry canes but will try those if you think they
will work.  I use the same reeds the USDA in Utah uses.  I am new to mason
bees so not a expert by any means.  I did however start on a rather large
scale and have found all the information provided me by the USDA in Utah to
be correct. One of my few projects which worked exactly as planned.  I
however choose to go with the experts instead of *McDonalds Milkshake straws
* as recommended many places on the net and   3 1/2 inch holes drilled in
blocks which limit reproduction and cause parasite problems when reused.

 So do you just leave them in the garden?

You remove the bees in the reeds/tubes/wood blocks when the ends of the
holes are sealed and store below 40F. till the next spring.  Takes three
days for the bees to emerge at room temperature or normal spring days
outside the following spring. The males hatch first.

 I have had a call from someone with only 1000 strawberry plants in a
 greenhouse. He has used bumble bees and is thinking of learning about
 honey bees. Would you commend solitary bees or do we have a problem of
 timing of flowering and the species we might attract?

Solitary bees would work nicely(in my opinion) because you only thaw out the
amount needed  and can keep bringing out more as needed to extend the
season.  I have no experiance with mason bees & greenhouses so I really
shouldn't comment but those are my thoughts on the subject right or maybe
wrong.
 Would you *ever*  use a nuc with an inside and an outside entrance placed
at the westerly  end (north side)? In the flowering and fruiting season the
glass would  be open most of the day.

I have never used bees to pollinate a greenhouse nor have I ever been asked
to provide a nuc or a hive.  I better leave the answer to a beekeeper with
experience on the subject.  Sorry I can't help on the question.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa,Missouri