From:
Greg Kendall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 May 1995 12:23:52 -0701
I did my first inspection of a recently hived package of the ARS-Y-1 bees
from Honey Bee Genetics in Vacaville, CA., and here's what I saw.

First, a disclaimer.  I have met Tom Parisian, who runs Honey Bee Genetics.
He was kind enough to drive 1 1/2 hours to give a talk to our local Guild.
I liked Tom, so be aware of what ever bias that implies.

I hived the package on April 7, and saw the queen walk out of the cage on
April 10.  I did this inspection on May 8.  In general, things looked good.
I'm using all medium depth equipment, and I found about 8 frames of brood.
The brood was mostly capped, tightly packed, with the holes in capped brood
filled with uncapped brood.  In some of the frames, the capped brood was
surrounded by uncapped brood, suggesting expansion.  The surrounding pollen
and honey were in pretty much the classic pattern.

The bees were not noticeably different to work than the Italians I've had
over the 4 seasons I've been keeping bees.

I saw the queen (thank you, however, for this year being the blue dot) and,
my, is she dark!

I have seen a few large larvae in front of the hive, so the hygienic
behavior does seem to be working (I've never noticed this from my previous
hives of Italians).

All in all, I'm pleased with what I saw.

I hived another package (Italians) on May, 11, we'll see how the 2 hives
compare.  In retrospect, I wish I'd ordered both packages at the same time,
so I'd have time-balanced colonies to compare.