From:
William Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 2016 15:09:00 -0500

>  We know bees die in 3-6 weeks in summer and from 3-6 months in winter. If there aren't enough long lived bees, perhaps the colony just fails early in the winter.

I think that bees lifespan is determined by their activities that they participate in during the summer that wears them out.
For the long lived bees in the colder months it is due to the fact that they are less active and instead feeding all their royal jelly
to queens and other larvae it is self absorbed allowing them to be well nurished.
Bill Bee