From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 2013 07:45:04 -0400
> "But wait, it's a city", one thinks.  "There must be all sorts of nasty environmental toxins in that stuff!" One would be wrong.  See this test report: http://bee-quick.com/reprints/Heavy_Metal_Hive.pdf

Not all sorts, but high levels of certain things. The report shows that while the operator may be controlling inputs, other inputs occur from the environment, just as we have stated. You don't even address whether these levels of magnesium are "safe" and whether you dumped the contaminated honey. Follows a report on metal levels in eggs:

> Organic farming is known as more clean and healthy food production than conventional farming, but the obtained results within the present study regarding hen eggs are not in favour with this common assumption.

> Eleven trace elements (Ba, Cu, Fe, Mn, Ni, Pb, Rb, Se, Sr, V, Zn) were quantitatively determined in hen egg samples collected from different poultry housing types (large-scale poultry farms, organic farms and domestic farms). The most variable range of concentrations and the highest content of elements were determined for hen egg samples derived from organic farms, while egg samples from domestic farms and poultry farms mostly contained lower content of elements.

> The present study revealed obvious differences between the trace element content of hen egg samples derived from different poultry housing types. The highest values and most variable range of concentrations of trace elements were determined for egg samples derived from organic farms, while egg samples from domestic farms and large-scale poultry farms mostly contained lower content of elements. That can be attributed not only to poultry feed specifics within different housing types but also to the impact of environmental factors such as indoor and outdoor conditions.

> Such environmental contaminant as Pb [lead] was not detected in egg samples from large-scale poultry farms where hen breeding is not affected by outdoor conditions. In general, the results confirmed the importance of the analysis of food composition that should be implemented by taking into account specific conditions of food production and applied agricultural practice. Influence of environmental factors may cause food contamination with potentially toxic elements that is the issue of high importance regarding consumer safety.

Vincevica-Gaile, Z., Gaga, K., & Klavins, M. (2013). Food and Environment: Trace Element Content of Hen Eggs from Different Housing Types. APCBEE Procedia, 5, 221-226.