Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 2013 07:42:42 -0700
>>>    first to suspect diseases as being the cause of any losses which he may sustain,
and to be sure that there is no infectious disease present before looking elsewhere for a cause.

This is difficult advice for a lot of us small operators simply because we don't have the education to be able to recognize the various symptoms of infectious diseases.  I know what DWV, dwarf wing virus, symptoms are and see that occaionally in a hive.  But bee paralysis, I could be looking right at it and not recognize it.  This is especially true for beekeepers starting out or having just a few years experience in beekeeping.  I've been keeping bees for a long time, off and on, and still feel very ignorant about recognizing the symptoms of some of the bee diseases now prevalent in the hives.

What I would wish for is a presentation, either a video clip or a Power Point presentation, presenting visual views of symptoms of each type of disease that is commonly found in the hives today.  I commend Brushy Mountain for their PP presentations but would like to see some PP presentations directed solely at each indivisual virus commonly found in the hive today and its symptoms.  And, would like to see presentations directed towards all of the old standard nemesis-(plural form of this whatever it is) of the beekeeping world.

The better educated we ignorant people are about this the better handle we will have on it and possibly better control of it in the general beekeeping world.

Mike in LA
Knowing I'm ignorant but seeking more information and help
Def of ignorant:  not knowing but capable of learning