Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 21:39:36 -0700
With fifty hives queened with Sue Cobey's New World Carniolans this year, I'll
add a 'second' to the line from Bill below!

All my 100+ hives were harvested and treated without the help of a smoker this
year.  If  I brought the smoker, the fuel was left behind.... or the
lighter....or the smoker, again.
It seemed only the NWC bees tolerated the disturbance without aggression.
Some of the mean bees literally emptied their hive onto my suit.  It was also
obvious that the better 'average' honey production came from the NWC queened
hives.  Yet, there always seems to be that one odd feral hive which keeps you
amazed compared to surrounding hives - either by size or production.

The remaining non-NWC hives are feral varieties removed from buildings.  While
most of the feral bees will let you remove them without much stinging, they
certainly regain this instinct once hived around a bunch more beehives.

Neighbors here at the house, are much nicer now that four of the five hives
are moved away.   It seems, so are the bees.  One hive is enough for tomatoes
and apples.

Matthew Westall
Earthling Bees, Inc. - Castle Rock, CO