From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 1996 08:36:24 EDT
Asked on science.agriculture.beekeeping:

>In article <[log in to unmask]>
>Michael@helium (Michael Courtney) writes:
>

>>Given that 90% of the wild honey bees have been wiped out by mites,
>>and swarming is a means or replentishing them, is swarming bad?
>>
>>I am studying beekeeping and plan on keeping a couple of hives next
>>year primarily for pollination purposes.  Wouldn't it help the
>>regional pollination if I let the bees swarm and just replaced
>>colonies which were left too weak to survive the winter?
>>
>>--
>>Michael Courtney, Ph. D.

To which I answered the following:
>The problem with swarming at this point is that the swarms provide
>new "host pools" for the mites.  Without treatment, most swarms will
>be victims of the mites and the mite population that flourishes in
>wild swarms will reinfect kept bees.
>
>I have not heard of the levels of varroa infestation equal to what was
>being reported this time last year.  I suspect this may be due to the
>fact that varroa was SO successful last year that most of their hosts
>were done in, hence there may not be as may pockets of varroa to infest
>beekeepers' colonies.  Hopefully all beekeepers are treating their
>colonies at this point which leaves the primary source of varroa
>as feral colonies (swarms).  This is merely speculation on my part,
>not borne out in any published research of which I am aware.
>
>A weak link in the Apistan treadmill is reinfestation from nearby
>colonies (either feral or untreated hives).  The most effective
>treatment program requires that colonies be treated not only on a
>beeyard basis, but on a larger geographic scale.  For instance, all
>colonies in the county.  The problems with this strategy are
>coordinating the treatment program (getting multiple beekeepers to
>treat simultaneously), feral colonies that don't get treated at all,
>and colonies in the next county over.  It's the untreated varroa haven
>that serves to reinfest other colonies.

Now my question to this forum regards my statement above that reports of
levels of varroa infestation have not equaled what was being reported
this time last year.  I have not seen them in my hives nor have I heard
of problems from my beekeeping buddies, whereas this time last year
I heard of others' problems and saw them in my hives, figuring I'd be
all right if I treated in September (a bad move on my part).  This year
I've been keeping a keen watch, but haven't seen them.  This is not
meant to instill any sort of assuredness to any beekeeper anywhere that
the plague has passed, but I can't help but wonder if varroa populations
are down proportionately to the level in which feral populations are
also down.  Observations and speculations from other parts are
requested.

Aaron Morris - I think, therefore I bee!